Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Law School Musical

Some may think that lawyers, law professors, and law students never have any fun. Boy are they wrong. Just take a look at how these two law professors bring music and the law together.


Just to give you a little background, Professor Lee and Professor Fee (yup) are singing about two cases dealing with the right to loiter. In 1972 Papachristou v. Jacksonville came before the United States Supreme Court. Jacksonville had passed a law making it a criminal offense to loiter on city streets. What is loitering you ask? Well, walking around downtown after dark of course. Or, if you take a drive late, you're loitering. Oh, and if you were a man who was supported by his wife financially or if you were seen leaving a place that sold liquor, you're a loiterer. You were breaking the law. Basically, if a police officer thought you were up to no good, they could stop you and arrest you. There goes any social activity for persons ages 16 to 30.


The problem is that that statute opened the door for all kinds of discrimination. Men and women (predominately of African decent) were being arrested for merely driving late at night or for going on a nightly stroll.


The Supreme Court found the statue unconstitutional. It took away a persons basic right to travel. Also, the law was so vague that a reasonable person would not be able to tell when they were breaking the law. We can't have that no can we?


So what does this mean to you? You can move around freely without worrying that the cops will arrest you. So, go ahead and take a stroll on those sleepless nights. Go for a nightly drive with your honey. The Supreme Court's got your back.
DON’T GET AROUND MUCH ANYMORE
(Papachristou/Morales Version)
Musical Talent by John Fee, Lyrics by Tom Lee

Miss my vagabond ways
Juggling I adore
But-with no purpose apparent
Don’t get around much anymore

Play my horn at a club
Was strolling home until 4:00
Policeman said that’s “nightwalking”
Don’t get around much anymore

May it please the court I guess, my mind’s not at ease
I’ve no clue I confess, when the cops are displeased

I would go wand’ring all night
My lady won’t leave me poor
But if they know they’ll arrest me
Don’t get around much anymore

[Solo]

May it please the court I guess, my mind’s not at ease
I’ve no clue I confess, when the cops are displeased

Now my due process rights
Have just been squashed on the floor
So until Papachristou
Don’t get around much anymore

1 comment:

JulsSW said...

that makes me laugh!