Friday, May 14, 2010

Today's Journey and a Beginning

My legs are sore and my bum is numb from sitting in the car for 13 hours. I've driven through three states today and made the long journey from Provo, UT to Salem, OR. It was a pretty uneventful trip except for a bird hitting my windshield and totally freaking me out. Poor bird. I drove it alone as Joe had to stay behind to work. I love Oregon. It is just beautiful here and it is great to see my family. But I have to admit, I miss him already. I better really focus on my extership or I can see these next four weeks as being very long and lonely without him.

I left early this morning and was able to make it here before dark. I love leaving for road trips early in the morning. They just go by so much faster that way. It was a beautiful drive. All of it (including Idaho) was green and lush. Spring is my favorite. I also was accompanied by a lovely Book on CD. I listened to The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I'd heard great things about it and I have to say, it's a great "read." It's about an African women who opens a detective agency in Botswana Africa. It not only chronicles her work as a detective, but also tells the life journey of her and her father. Although there are some slow parts (it may just have been when I was getting tired driving), by the end all the events fall into place into a enjoyable resolution. It was a great way to pass the alone time on my drive. I hardly ever get to read anything for pleasure these days. So to be able to listen to a CD and listen to a whole novel in one day was really wonderful.

I'll be here in Salem for the next four weeks working for a local law firm and missing my husband. However, I am excited to get some "real world" legal experience and reconnect with Nathan and Cecily. Nathan is as tall as me now. I'm officially the shortest of all of my siblings. The oldest and the shortest. Ah well, there are worse things.

2 comments:

kimi + joe said...

Good luck this summer! Hopefully you kids can Skype so you can at least 'see' each other during these weeks.

Young People in Love said...

Chas and I that book just a few months ago! He did ALL the voices ;)