
I have heard that phrase about 87 times in the last week. Almost every professor, T.A., and member of the administration has said it. One professor even went so far as to make us camel shaped sugar cookies to celebrate grades and class rankings coming out for us first year law students. She calls it "hump day." (Camels have humps. Get it?) Rumor has it that they even have a suicide watch for all us law students. Scary, I know. With all the looks of sympathy, I could tell that all the faculty and administration were really worried. They were worried that those who got low grades would go suicidal and those that got great grades would become prideful. I can understand why they were troubled.
This semester I have met some of the most hard working, bright, interesting, and amazing people. Every one of my classmates has an amazing life story and an incredible mind. I have learned so much from them. So what do you do with a group of amazing people? How do you distinguish who is the best and who needs to try a little harder? You grade on a curve and then rank them. It's a cruel system. However, I can see the purpose of it. I can also see how, if one didn't have the proper perspective, it could affect their psyche negatively.
Hence the message . . . YOU ARE NOT YOUR GRADES.
I appreciate the message. It's true. Although grades do measure an aspect of our performance, they do not measure us as a whole. In fact, when you look at the time you spent in that one class getting that grade, it is a very small portion of your life. After all, what makes a person? Letters on a transcript? I think far more important things make us who we are, such as:
How we treat/care for our families
How we treat strangers
How we help others
How we care for ourselves
How we serve our communities
How we make the world more beautiful
How we serve our God
So, remember, you are not your grades. (Whether you are still in school, or not. There are always other ways the world tries to grade us.) You are SO much more than that. You are full of talent, gifts, and promise.
I'm not saying this because I got bad grades. I have a strict don't ask/don't tell policy. But let me say, I didn't fail any classes, and that was what I all I dared to hope for. I am happy with my scores and feel proud of what I accomplished.
Now . . . on to next semester!
4 comments:
Sounds a lot like nursing school to me, accept your professors seem a lot nicer!
Blessings, andrea
Thank you so much for sharing that Meg! I truly admire you, starting law school, planning a wedding, getting married. All huge adjustments in life and you handle them with such class and poise.
Lawyers? Camels? What?
"Hump day", in most circles, just means the hardest day in a stretch of days, so when it's over, you're over the hump and it's all downhill from there.
When my husband was in law school, he heard this saying:
Q: What do you call a law student who graduated with a C average?
A: A lawyer.
Some of the best attorneys had the worst grades, and some of the most lacking attorneys had fantastic grades. Law school isn't real life. Grades definitely do not define the person.
Post a Comment