I love a good laugh. I love a good cake. I love beautiful cakes. I love horribly decorated cakes (because they make me laugh). So naturally, I LOVE the blog Cake Wrecks, because it combines them all. Check it out. You will be shocked at how "wrecked" some of the cakes are!
Last week, we headed to the Kings English Bookshop in Salt Lake City for a the Cakes Wrecks tour. Jen, the creator of the blog, has just published a book which she offered to sign. She also came to share some of her favorite wrecks with us.
The actual event was in a mod gallery down the street. It was a packed house!
We went with some of our favorite people, my dear sister Allie and her witty husband Chris. Thanks Allie for inviting us!
That's Jen and her husband. She is as funny in person as she is on her blog!
Joe had never heard of Cake Wrecks. He's not a blogger. But, the dear humored me and came along. I may or may not have bribed him with cake.
People brought in some replicas of the wrecks. Sadly, I didn't get any pictures of those (but, Jen posted the great ones on Cake Wrecks, so check them out). They also served cake and a local bakery showed off some of their sweet creations. I loved this polka dot cake.
This was the biggest cupcake I have ever seen. The babies on carrots were originally on an actual wreck. I'm sorry, but doesn't that just creep you out?
The boys liked the cake. Yum!
Although I've had my share of sweets (like my wedding cake below that I absolutely ADORE),
I've had my share of wrecks too. This was Joe's birthday cake this year. It looks NOTHING like the model cake they showed me. It is SUPPOSED to be a football helmet next to a football on some grass. I guess the decorator decided to leave out the face guard on the helmet and decided that grass grows sideways. Oh well, it tasted good.
I must say, I loved the Kings English Bookshop. I'm a sucker for bookshops and this one was so quaint. I could spend many hours perusing their shelves.
Of course, Allie and I browsed the lovely books while we were there. We especially loved the home decor books. Ah, "one day" we will be able to have a swanky house like those.
Allie found our favorite book of the night.
It's a real tear jerker.

4 comments:
kings english is RIGHT by my parents house!
You should have picked that cookbook up for me...I (sadly) need it...
BTW, your hair looks fantastic!
Ahh! I wish I had known about your cake and book expedition! That sounds like so much fun!!!
Guess what...! Your Kinder chocolate should be here any day!! We mailed two boxes of souvenirs home and one arrived today. The other one has all the chocolate :(. Arg. I want my chocolate. Also, I looked for those gummies in Spain and couldn't find them. But that may be due to two factors. 1.I only saw one candy shop, but didn't have time to go in :(. and 2.We didn't go to Bilbao! Sad, I know. We cut it out and spent a day and a half in Barcelona and basically just overnight in Madrid. I must say, I like Bilbao MUCH better. Barcelona is RIDICULOUSLY HOT AND HUMID! Also, my dad got pick-pocketed on the subway! (But to Barcelona's credit, they caught the guy and are returning my dad's camera to him!!)
What I guess I'm saying is, we need to hang out again so I can give you your Kinder! Otherwise, no children for you! (That's what Kinder in German means - children.)
~Heidi
Post a Comment