Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Twenty Seven

(My dear sister Cecily made this beautiful "Better than, (pause) you know" cake. It's my favorite.)

My birthday was earlier this month, but I was so busy with my internship, I didn't get a chance to post my usual refections of growing a year older. Funny thing about birthdays--everyone has a different opinion of them. Some people are fanatics. They don't celebrate birth-DAYS, they celebrate birth-MONTHS. Others are more quiet about it. They don't make a hullabaloo, but make sure to treat themselves to a little something. And then there are some that want everyone else to know when their birthday is, so they make sure to broadcast it at least a month in advance to everyone within earshot. They do this so that no one forgets to make them feel special on that day. And then, there are the people who have birthday-phobia. They hide their birthday from everyone except the people from whom they can't hide it (like their moms.) When asked, they refuse to reveal the day they were born. Heck, if they could, they wouldn't even tell the DMV.

With the exception on the last group, I have fallen into all of these categories. Perhaps because I was a child of six and thus had to fight for attention, I always wanted to feel special on my birthday. I've been blessed with a dear friend to feels that birthdays should be like Christmas and makes a point to go out of her way to spoil others on their birthday. She even drove 13 hours from Arizona to Sacramento, CA to surprise me on my birthday a few years ago.Yup, she's a die hard and I love her for it. Perhaps because of her example, I feel that everyone should feel special and loved on their birthday. It's not only the day a person entered this world, but it's the day that his or her greatest test began. For that is what this life is. It is one big test to see what kind of person we will be. Every year of this gigantic test that is completed should be celebrated.

I have come to believe, however, that birthdays are best when they are about serving others. If you hope for a fabulous birthday, full of presents and recognition, you are bound to be disappointed. But if you focus more on other's birthdays, and try and make them feel loved on those days, then you can feel birthday joy throughout the year. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't celebrate yourself. It just that the basic service principle applies. You can't expect others to serve you and doing so won't bring happiness. You can only serve others, and that is where the happiness comes.  

This year I worked 10 hours in a law office where no one knew it was my birthday. I ate lunch alone. I didn't open a present. (May family did give me some wonderfully thoughtful gifts a few days later. But nothing on my actual day). But, my sister made me a wonderful cake, my mom cooked me a steak dinner, and I laughed with my parents and siblings all night long. It was the simplest birthday I have ever had and I am grateful for it because when it comes down to it, family, food, and laughter are the best combination in life.

I am grateful for my mother who not only endured months of nausea and 26 hours of labor to bring me into this this world, but cracked her tail bone in the process. I am grateful for a father who welcomed me into the world with open arms and held my hand whenever I needed something to hold onto. I'm grateful for siblings who came after who have become my most important friends. I am grateful for other loving family members and friends who have loved me. I am grateful for my husband, even though he called me at 12:01am to sing me happy birthday. It was worth waking up for. I am thankful for good food, beautiful music, the glorious outdoors, and adventures. But most of all, I am grateful that God gave us this wonderful world and provided a way for us to return to Him once our mortal test is complete.

I've lived 27 years. I never thought I would get this old, but I am so glad I did because the truth is, life is good. It is oh so good.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh my goodness! You have so many new blog posts. Good for you for keeping up on them. That is a constant struggle.

I am glad you had a happy Birthday. Sorry you couldn't be w/ Joe on that day though. 27 years. It is crazy, isn't it? 3 years til we're 30- that is something that always seemed SO far away.

I love your cake wrecks post. Especially Joe's cake. Too funny-- esp. the grass like you mentioned. I love that blog too, just seeing what some people think is a 'good' cake.

Take care! Wish we lived closer so that we could visit w' you more often!

kimi + joe said...

Happy, Happy Birthday lady! Glad you had a marvelous (albeit late) birthday celebration. I agree, life is good, oh so good. Here's to many more good ones!

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday Megan! Sounds like you had a great one!!

Farrr Westerner said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday, Meg!!

I had to laugh when I read "I never thought I would get this old"...we're not old-old, but I guess we are getting up there, aren't we?

Elise said...

YAY for Birthdays!!! I've in all those categories too... we all have our moments I think. I think it's great that Joe called you- being the first to wish you Happy Bday on your day!! And love the cake!!!!