Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Melon-O-Lanterns

Oh summer. It brings so many wonderful things, one of which is yummy and succulent watermelon. Any of you who know me, know that I love this moist fruit, and can't wait each season to head to the local supermarket to pick out the melon with the most bee stings. That and exhibiting a particular hollow sound when knocked on ensures a sweet treat (according to my mother). So the other day, when asked if I had any ideas for an FHE activity, I spurted out the first thing that came to mind . . . let's make melon-o-lanterns. What is a melon-o-lantern you may ask? Well, simply the carving of the summer fruit into something similar to it's autumn cousin Jack. Although a lot messier, carving watermelons had it's own pleasures. Eating the inside was way more enjoyable than eating raw pumpkin, and the green and red coloring added a whole new dimension to the art. Overall, it was a great activity, one that I wouldn't mind making into a summer tradition.

The Gang.

Jill, Jack's sister.

Cecily, Rob, and Leslie about to take a bite.

Jack from A Nightmare Before Christmas...summer stylin'. I think the red eyes are so cool.

Allie, Val, and Cec chowing down.

No comments: