Monday, October 13, 2008

Oktoberfest

I have been horrible at posting lately and as I was looking through my camera, realized that I have had some great experiences recently that I haven't shared. So, these next few posts will be a bit of back-tracking.


A few weeks ago, a bunch of the pals and I headed to Mt. Angel for their yearly Oktoberfest Festival. It was amazing. The food was great, the music especially jovial, and the people watching opportunities particularly interesting. It was a great way to welcome in fall.

As it was dinner time, we first headed to get some eats. I got some yummy potato pancakes and on of the best cinnamon-rollish things I have ever tasted. Here's a pic of Todd, Daniel, and Joe enjoying their dinner.

Some of us got more in the Oktoberfest spirit than others. Daniel went all out with suspenders, shorts, and a green hat. This cute old man was playing the sweetest songs on the accordion and although you can't really tell by this picture, was wearing the same exact outfit as Daniel. It was too funny.
Mt. Angel has a beautiful Catholic church. I've been in quite a few through my travels, but was really impressed by the sweet peace that pervaded this chapel. The stained glass was beautiful as well.
There was also section of the town dedicated to artists. They had little booths where the displayed and sold their goods. One of the most interesting booths for me was the glass maker. As you can see from the pic below, this man uses a blowtorch and a few tools to create the most beautiful glass sculptures. It was fascinating to watch him bend and mold the glass.
Here's a pic of me and the boys: Taylor, Joe and Jared. Thank goodness for good friends.This man was so cute. We just had to get a picture! Also, these girls are so awesome. I love Jackie and Lindsay!
We found a polka band and had a blast dancing to their tunes. Here's the groups doing the "Hokie-Pokie." Seriously, I can't remember the last time I did the "Hokie-Pokie" but it was so much fun. This pic is "put your left hip in." Daniel shows us how to "put your nose in and wiggle it all about."
Oh, and did I mention that we did the Chicken Dance? Yes. And guess what? All this fun was had without one drop of Oktoberfest alcohol!

No comments: