A Megan Memory: Coming home from school was always a special time for me as a child. We only lived about a block from our elementary school and so we walked home most days. I would get Cecily after class and then we would head home together. Mom was always waiting for us with a snack and a bright smile. Snack time was so important. We told Mom all about our day and what we had learned in school. Looking back, it provided some great bonding time.
During Fall, Cecily and I always looked forward to Apple Cake for snack time. This scrumptious treat would be warm and fresh from the oven. It has apple chunks in it and although sweet, is more like a muffin type than a cake. I have great memories of eating Apple Cake and talking to Mom after elementary school.
Flash Forward: I'm 25 and the days of elementary school are long gone. I've just moved home for awhile to help my Dad with his new business after having graduated from college. Life is busy and although I live at home, I am hardly every there. Work, my calling in Relief Society, Institute, and dating fill up almost every day. In fact I have to schedule laundry time. Fall has come, but I've been too busy to really notice. So I come home one particularly busy day and find myself greeted by a familiar smell. I haven't smelled it in awhile and can't quite put my finger on what it is. However, as I come into the kitchen, memories of elementary school fall days come rushing back. It's Apple Cake! My lovely Mom had made it again. It was then that I realized, Hey, it's really autumn! So, I cut a slice for me and my Mom, and we sat at the table and caught up. Cecily joined us and it was almost as if we were back 15 year prior, eating Apple Cake at snack time.
4 comments:
Sounds good, I want some!!
I miss you!
Happy Autumn :)
you are too cute! How fun- I want some apple cake :)
Hey, where's the recipe? Now I'll have to hunt online :) We have a ton of apples that we've picked this fall. What a great idea! I think I'll make some for family night dessert tonight!
I was hoping for the recipe as well! Megan, you have such a talent for writing. That was very sweet and fun to read.
Post a Comment