Friends are one of the great blessings of life. I truly believe that every person that comes into our lives has something to teach us, if only we will take the opportunity to learn from them. While some friends come into our lives only to leave it, if we are really lucky, we will gather a few friendships that will last a lifetime.
I have been very blessed, not only with a wonderful family, a full life, and faith that sustains and uplifts me, but also with many dear friends that teach me, support me, and make me smile.
One such friend has been there almost from the beginning. In fact, our families have a long history of friendship with our grandfathers working together and our mothers going to the same stake activities in their youth. I met Valorie Summers in second grade on the tether ball courts of Frontier Elementary School. She beat me at a game of tether ball and we have been friends ever since. Now, don't get me wrong, our friendship has not always been a bowl of peaches and cream, but as we have grown, so has our friendship. She is truly like a sister to me and I am so grateful for that.
Now, Val lives in Utah, I live in Oregon, but that was not going to stop me from celebrating her 25th birthday. She is so good at making others feel so special on their birthdays, that I wanted to return the favor. So, after careful planning, I boarded a plane for Sacramento to surprise her for her quarter of a century mark. She was there visiting family and had no idea I was coming.
Watch the video below to see her face as I showed up on her doorstep. Beware: I have a really annoying laugh in this video.
Needless to say, she had no idea I was coming. It was great. The first night, Val wanted to go rollerskating. Now, you may not know this, but Val is a rollerskating extraordinaire! She even took lessons as a kid. I, on the other hand, just try and make it around the rink without falling down and making a fool of myself.
Steph can do some tricks.
Although she is amazing on eight wheels, we all have accidents. Here's Val icing her elbow after a small tumble. I took a dive of my own an hour later.
We got a bit tired and decided to play with my camera a bit.
The next day we took my rental car back to the airport (Yes, I got my first rental car. It was amazing!) and then headed out to the Galleria Mall in Roseville for some shopping. I love this sign that we saw along the back roads in Roseville.
The Summers girls minus Sharlene who is living in Utah.
I feel very lucky to have a true best friend and it was so fun to go and visit and celebrate with her and her family for her birthday. I know that the next 25 years will be even more amazing. What do you say Val? Shall we go on a European cruise for our 50th?
6 comments:
That was so awesome Megan! What a great friend!! Feel free to fly out to Ohio in April for my 27th b-day, lol :)
Happy b-day Valorie!
Oh btw, I cracked up the first time I saw oneof those tractor x-ing signs down the road from us. Really knew we were in the midwest then.
I remember Val and her family. 25! Already??? Happy B-day Val.
She is lucky to have a great friend like you.
Val is the greatest. I'm glad she had a great birthday.
Foothill Skate is still around???
YAY!!! Looks like y'all had a blast!! what fun memories!!! Um...yeah..Hello...let's make another GREAT memory by You flying out to NEW YORK to spend New Years with me!! (not to mention- remember- New Year's Day is MY B-day...I"m going to be 27....doesn't that sound kind of old??) I don't feel OLD, but when I say it out loud...yikes! :-P
So I have pretty much dec ided that I need to go to Sacramento and see the sunsets there. I loved that painted rock!! How awesome:)
Post a Comment