Friday, March 12, 2010

Jury Duty



"The prohibition of women on juries was derived from the English common law which, according to Blackstone, rightfully excluded women from juries under "the doctrine of propter defectum sexus, literlally, the 'defect of sex."'

~United States v. De Gross
960 F.2d 1433, 1438 (9th Cir. 1992).

Tell me that's not a gross statement to you.
I won't take the right to be on a jury for granted again.

On another note, I finally called the Marion County, Oregon jury duty coordinator to clear up my little jury duty mishap. Turns out if you don't show up when you are summoned, they can put out a warrant for your arrest. They didn't do that to me because, as the nice lady said, "we don't jump on that." But hey, it's one more thing off my chest. I actually wish I could participate on a jury. Goodness knows once I graduate from law school, no attorney will ever let me on their jury. This might have been my only chance. Sad.

No comments: